How to write a Law Report?
A law report is any legal publication which contains judicial opinions, where judgement and decisions of courts are compiled and indexed. It is a legal statement of proceedings. A law report publishes judgements of any particular court i.e. high court, federal court etc. Law report is a documentation of a legal community. There is an analysis of a specific given legal problem in the law report.
As a graduate or post–graduate law student, one can be asked to write a law report of a specific case of area of law. As a law report provides an analysis of any legal problem, there should be a proper research over it. Research methods can depend on the nature of the problem. Research also thrives upon the subject, research skills and availability of resources and materials. As law reports are published on a regular basis, so it is mandatory to remain up to date with the current legal information.
In Australia, there is particular format of writing law reports. Each jurisdiction publishes its own law reports. These law reports are related to that judiciary only, for e.g. South Australian State Reports.
The following is a format followed by the University of Adelaide:
1. Start with the name of case (also Case name): The case name is written on the front first page. A case name is the name of the parties to the case. These are also known as respondent.
2. Citation: The second page of the law report bears the citation. It is placed on the top of the page. Citation directs the identification of the case. Citation tells about the case.
3. Name of Jurisdiction: This point covers the name of the jurisdiction i.e. name of the court and the judges.
4. Time: Time refers to the date of the case. Generally, the case report has two dates. First date shows the case hearing in the court. Second date is the date on which the judgement has to be handed down.
5. Catchwords: In a law report, the catchwords are written in Italics font. Catchwords are the subject headings. They give a description related to the case. Catchwords are used to search related cases.
6. Headnote: Headnote includes the legal issues, the facts jurisdiction decisions taken by the presiding judges etc.
7. Procedural History: It gives the case information, its history and from which jurisdiction it has been appealed.
8. Counsel: A counsel is the attorney or a lawyer associated with the case and represents the parties.
9. Summary of argument of counsel: This summery includes the arguments laid by the lawyers of both the parties.
10. Decisions: In a law report, the decisions include the summary of the material facts.
11. Court Orders: Court orders are taken by the courts. These are placed on the very last page of the law report.
The title page of the law report shows the report title, the author, the concerned person or party. It also bears the completion date. The Executive synopsis of the law report includes the purpose, scope, results, findings etc of the law report. The body of the law report introduces about the report, the discussions, which are categorized into sections and sub sections. This is followed by a conclusion which relates the report findings, a clear summary of research. Proper referencing and citation of the law report is done by writing the bibliography and appendices.
Expert Law Report Help For University Students
Law reports are important for many legal reasons. These reports provide an overview of the court proceedings on the case. Law reports allow to do research on the on results of the previous court cases. Law reports are the summaries of legal proceedings. Students often face many problems writing a law report. Due to lack of proper guidance or practice, they feel difficulties. These problems lead to poor marking in their assignments. Too much of description without enough analysis in writing a law report for a good assignment is the main problem which students usually face. Poor structuring and informal language with wrong register is another problem. Incorrect referencing with inadequate sources and poor choice of quotes or too many quotes are some other common problems which students generally do in their law reports. Insufficient referencing of assignment can lead to plagiarism. Knowing these academic problems, ozassignments.com has launched its Law Report online assignment help. With the best law experts, who have been working professionally for so long, we are always committed to provide the students the best in the world. As our tutors are experts in their fields, no matter if it is corporate law, civil law, administrative law; they understand each and every little thing. With their best efforts and knowledge, we have prepared law report online assignment help for all law students. Contact us today and score the maximum grade with help of our law report online best assignment help.