Understanding the Different Types of Visas Available for Australia


Is it mandatory to have a visa to travel to Australia for sundry purposes? You must have heard people asking such a question several times. They aren’t wrong in asking that as there are countries where you can travel without having access to a visa. But in accordance with Australia, traveling for any purpose requires a visa. This turns out to be a tiny thing that actually verifies your identity and the purpose of your visit during the harsh times of your travel and immigration. Whether you want to experience the vibrant culture as a tourist, pursue academic excellence through study programs, engage in professional pursuits through work opportunities, or lay down roots for a permanent stay, there exists a visa category suited to your aspirations. Being careless while understanding them can surely lead you to severe consequences. Therefore, through the roots of this blog, you can delve into the profound significance of visa requirements to study in Australia, exploring its transformative impact on students' lives, and highlighting the array of visa options available to facilitate their educational journey and beyond. Whether seeking academic enrichment, career advancement, or cultural immersion, Australia offers a world of possibilities for those who dare to dream and pursue knowledge across borders.

Without any further delay, let us delve into this blog and make ourselves aware of the Australian student visa requirement and other different types of visas available for traveling and immigrating to Australia. 


Various Visa Classifications

Since the purpose of getting a visa can be multiple for each individual, Australia equitably offers a variety of visa options to them, catering to their interest be it in tourism, study, work, and permanent residency. Whether you're seeking a short-term visit, pursuing academic endeavors, exploring career opportunities, or aiming to settle permanently, Australia provides specialized visa pathways to fulfill your aspirations.

A. Visitor visa

As the name suggests, it is for individuals who are likely to travel to Australia for a short period of time and unintended to stay in the country. This is the tourist visa, allowing them to view the country’s eye-captivating beauty, visit family or friends, or engage in short-term business activities. 

The visa subclasses falling under the broader category of visitor visas:

1. Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601): This is available to individuals with passports from certain countries and regions, coming over for short-term visits or business purposes.

2. eVisitor (subclass 651): This visa is for individuals who have a keen interest in visiting Australia for tourism or business purposes. It's available to passport holders from certain European countries and regions.

3. Transit visa (subclass 771): This visa is for individuals who need to cross Australia on their way to another country, allowing individuals to take a short stay during the transit period.

4. Visitor visa (subclass 600): This is a general visitor visa for people who want to travel to Australia for tourism, visiting family or friends, or other short-term purposes. 

5. Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462): This visa along with subclass 417, allows temporary stay in Australia, enabling them to engage in work and holiday activities.  This visa is for young adults aged 18 to 30 to promote cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

6. Working Holiday visa (subclass 417): This visa is also for young adults aged 18 to 30 (with exceptions for certain countries) who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It's available to passport holders from specific countries with reciprocal agreements with Australia.


B) Studying and Training Visa

For individuals aiming and aspiring to pursue their further education in Australia, this visa category tends to be perfect. Since Australia is a hub of innovation and technology, international students embark on their academic journeys by pursuing their preferred courses through the prestigious universities in Australia. 

The subclasses falling under this category to cater to different types of study and training opportunities are as follows:

1. Student Visa (subclass 500): Students who are willing to study in Australia for a longer duration of time in any of the registered educational institutions can apply for this visa. Apart from academics, working in Australia on a student visa one like this, has certain limits to it. 

2. Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590): Students who are practically underage to perform certain tasks and face difficulties during their stay in Australia can be accompanied by a guardian for that duration.

3. Training Visa (subclass 407): This visa allows individuals to take part in workplace-based training to enhance their skills or for professional development purposes.

4. Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485): This visa allows international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution to live, study, and work in Australia temporarily after completing their studies.

5. Training Visa (subclass 407): This visa is for individuals who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.


C) Working and Skilled visas

The ones who are planning to move or enter the workforce of Australia after their graduation can apply for this visa and other subcategories. The country has a wide area of opportunities for international students across various fields including healthcare, engineering, information technology, and trades.

Some of the common subclasses falling under the working and skilled visa category:

1. Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189): This visa is for individuals who are looking for permanent survival in a country like Australia, including individuals whom an employer, a state, or territory, or a family member does not sponsor.

2. Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190): In contrast to subclass 189, these visas are for those individuals who get nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in Australia as permanent residents.

3. Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 491): This visa is temporarily based, and suitable for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government or sponsored by an eligible relative to live and work in designated regional areas. An individual can live for a duration of five years. Later on, can avail permanent residency. 

4. Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186): This visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by an approved employer to live and work in Australia permanently.

5. Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482): This visa allows the stay of skilled workers in Australia on a temporary basis. This is evident If their occupation is on the list of eligible skilled occupations and they have a sponsor.

6. Global Talent Visa (subclass 858): This visa is for highly skilled individuals who possess exceptional talent in a specific field. Subsequently leading to permanent residency later in the years.


D) Family visa

This visa allows an individual to stay in Australia with their loved ones. Allowing them to document their relationship with the other partner in Australian residence. These visas allow eligible family members to join their Australian relatives and build a life together.

The common subclasses covered under this category of visa are:

1. Spouse or Partner Visa: This class allows the other individual in the relationship to join the partner already living in Australia, and are permanent resident. It may include subclasses like Spouse Visa, Partner Visa, or Marriage Visa.

2. Child Visa: Couples who are permanent in Australia requiring their child to come over and settle with them need this visa. It may include subclasses like Child Visa, Dependent Child Visa, or Adopted Child Visa.

3. Parent Visa: The parents of citizens or permanent residents can join their children in the country with this visa. It may include subclasses like Parent Visa or Contributory Parent Visa.

4. Remaining Relative Visa: This subclass is for individuals who have no relatives outside of their family unit other than those in the country. It allows them to join their family members.


E) Business visa

This visa is for individuals who have their business ventures in Australia or is for aspiring entrepreneurs to conduct their research on the market of Australia and perform professional activities to establish their business without any legal allegations. They can reside in Australia and continue to build networks and explore diverse business opportunities.

1. Business Innovation and Investment Visa (subclass 188/888): This visa is for individuals with a demonstrated history of success in business or other significant investments. They can come to Australia with this visa, and establish, develop, or manage a business and invest in Australian state or territory government bonds.

2. Investor Visa (subclass 891): This visa is for individuals who have maintained an investment in Australia and held a designated investment in Australia for four years.

3. Significant Investor Visa (subclass 188/888): This visa is for individuals who are willing and ready to invest at least AUD 5 million in Australia and maintain business and investment activity in Australia.

4. Business Talent (Permanent) Visa (subclass 132): This visa is for business owners or investors of great caliber and gets nominated by a state or territory government agency. 

5. Business Owner (subclass 890): The ones who have been staying and establishing their enterprise in Australia for two years can apply for this visa in continuation to their business or investment purpose. 

6. Investor (subclass 891): Those who have made and maintained an investment in Australia and held a designated investment in Australia for four years, can have the right over this visa. 


F) Permanent residency visa

Permanent Residency Visas are for those people who wish to stay permanently in the country. This visa grants them the right to live, work, and study indefinitely in Australia, with the option to eventually apply for citizenship in some cases. 

1. Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189): This visa is for skilled workers who do not get sponsored by an employer, a state, or a territory but it allows them to live and work permanently anywhere in the country.

2. Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190): This visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in a specific region of the country as a permanent resident.

3. Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186): This visa is for skilled workers nominated by an approved employer to live and work permanently in Australia.

4. Global Talent Visa (subclass 858/124): The ones who have exceptional talent get chosen by an employer, allowing an individual to work and live in Australia permanently. 

5. Family-Sponsored Visa (various subclasses): Certain countries offer permanent residency visas for individuals sponsored by eligible family members who are citizens or permanent residents.

6. Business Innovation and Investment Visa (subclass 888): This visa is for individuals who have met the requirements of their provisional visa and have maintained their investment or business activity in the country.


Other specialised visas

These visas are applicable to those individuals with sought-after skills and expertise, offering them an opportunity to settle in Australia with sponsorship from a particular state or territory. 

1. Distinguished Talent Visa (subclass 858/124): Anyone possessing skills or having outstanding achievements in a profession, sport, arts, academia, or research, gets the advantage to contribute significantly to the Australian economy with this visa. 

2. Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408): This visa allows individuals to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in specific activities or events, such as sporting events, entertainment productions, religious work, or research projects.

3. Training Visa (subclass 407): This visa is for individuals who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development activities.

4. Media and Film Staff Visa (subclass 423): This visa is for individuals working in the media or film industry who need to come to Australia for production, coverage, or reporting purposes.

5. Religious Worker Visa (subclass 428): This visa is for individuals coming to Australia to engage in full-time religious work, including as a minister of religion, missionary, or religious instructor.

6. Medical Treatment Visa (subclass 602): This visa is for individuals coming to Australia for medical treatment or consultations that are not available in their home country.

7. Special Program Visa (subclass 416): This visa is for individuals participating in approved special programs, such as cultural exchanges, youth exchange programs, or government-sponsored programs.

Overall, these were the Main categories of visa options available to folks for traveling and immigrating to Australia. Now, there are international students who mainly find themselves in the chaos of navigating the path to filling out a successful visa application. 

Here's a step-by-step guide to help you through the application process:

Step 1: Apprehend the Visa Requirements

As you have read above about the diverse visa subclasses, the main and popular choice of international students is Subclass 500. Therefore, you should familiarize yourself with the visa requirements to study in Australia. This includes criteria such as enrollment in a registered course, financial capacity, health insurance, and character checks.

Step 2: Equip yourself with the Relevant Documents

Collect the documents necessary to support your visa application. Additionally make sure that these documents are valid, accurate, and meet the specified requirements. 

This basically includes:

a) Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) from your Australian educational institution
b) Proof of financial capacity to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and health insurance
c) Results of any required health examinations
d) Police clearance certificate or evidence of good character

Step 3: Send Your Application

Submit and click the send button that awaits to date. Submit your application online through the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs website or through a registered migration agent.

Step 4: Pay Visa Application Fee

Yes, you have to pay a certain amount to apply for a visa. Pay this fee as per the current fee structure and move on to the next stage. You can choose any of the payment methods as per your interest and preference.

Step 5: Attend Biometrics and Health Examinations (if required)

If requested, attend biometrics collection and health examinations as part of the visa application process. Be at the safer side, and follow the instructions provided by the Department of Home Affairs regarding these requirements.

Step 6: Wait for Processing

After fulfilling all the requirements you need to wait for the outcome of your application issued by the  Department of Home Affairs. Meanwhile, The time taken to process the application is based on factors such as your country of residence and the volume of applications being processed.

Step 7: Receive Visa Decision

Hoping for a positive outcome, if yes then you will receive notification from the Department of Home Affairs on your application being approved. Now that you have received the decision, your visa grant letter will outline the conditions of your visa, including validity dates and any work limitations.


The Australian government provides a variety of options to international folks or students to come over and travel and study in Australia respectively. Based on the purpose of the visit you can choose the one suitable to your needs and preferences. From tourist visas for short-term visits to skilled migration programs for long-term settlement, the Australian visa system provides opportunities for people from all walks of life. Throughout the blog, we’ve explored the various visa categories, but the main focus is on the students willing to move out for higher education. The Subclass 500 visa, in particular, serves as a gateway to academic excellence, enabling students to enroll in registered courses at renowned Australian educational institutions. As prospective students consider their options, it's essential to conduct thorough research and seek guidance from educational consultants or migration agents if needed. 

In case of any other query approaching your way, you can read through our blogs related to the Visa options available. Additionally, you can seek expert assistance at OZ assignments.

Read More

How do I Get a Visa for Australia from India
Your Go-To Guide for Visa Applications: Everything You Need to Know
Is IELTS Mandatory to Apply for Higher Studies in Australia