Delivery in day(s): 5
Technological and Pedagogical Analysis Oz Assignments
1. What Technological and pedagogical are behind the emergence of AI in education?
The intelligence demonstrated by machines refers as Artificial Intelligence. The concept of AI was emerged simultaneously with the emergence of programmable digital computer during Dartmouth conference in 1956 (Wenger, 2014). The core concept of the information technology has emerged from theories in Psychology, Cognitive Science, and Logic and so on. Several technological and pedagogical has played major role in rapid emergence of AI such as Machine Learning Algorithms, Natural Language generation (NLG) , Robotic Process Automation(RPA), Virtual Agents, Speech Recognition and many more.
In education AI is gaining poapularity any technical giant such as IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Google are working toward future education technology, the uses of internet, Smartphone, leaning apps, advance search engine are already used by many learners for their study purpose . Digital study materials, advance graphic and multimedia learning tools are major components behinds emergence of AI in education (Roll & Wylie, 2016). There is a constant effort towards creating mentors for every leaner.
2. How is AIED being implemented, what benefits are being realised?
There is a huge potential of AI in education. AIED is an interactive methods which uses sophisticate algorithm to coordinate the interaction with the students that deliver educational resources and learning activities to deal with the distinctive needs of each learner (Pinkwart, 2016). The implementation of AI in education can be done by using internet in distance learning, Adaptive learning Game Design) ALGAE, multimedia instructional model and many more tools (Walker & Ogan).
Potential benefits by implementation of AI in Education are:
1. Automated Grading: AI system has developed ability to generate automate grading of multiple choice material , it is most likely that in future the technology will able to grade various standardized assessments.
2. Teacher and Students Support: Various routine task can be managed by AI that facilitate teacher to connect with students very smartly, at the same time AI companion Students able to know their personal history regarding teaching (Pinkwart, 2016).
3. Identify the weakness in the classroom: The sophisticate AI integrated classroom able to identify the students who miss certain topic or lessons that can be re-taught by the teachers.
4. Provide personalized help: AI can provide students with added tools that help them in reinforcing communication skills or master ideas.
5. Meet the learner’s needs: AI can help the learner with special needs by adapting the learning materials.
3. What are some of the emerging issues and challenges around the topic of AIED?
There are both technical and ethical emerging issues and challenges regarding AIED some of them are:
1. Ensure trustful use of internet and AIED technology.
2. Addressing technical risk in vast IT supported networks and intervention strategies (Kay,2012).
3. Developing high-level interaction methods
Some ethical issues are:
1. Unemployment: Unemployment in teaching industry due to automation of education process is one of the major issues in AIED.
2. Inequality and monopoly: in this critical economic system there is possibility of widening wealth gap (Kay,2012). Wealthy people who are able to afford sophisticate technology can take control over education system and capture large portion of the economic surplus.
3. Lack of human behaviour and emotion: this is most genuine issues regarding AIED. The AI is most likely to become very interactive but still without human behaviour and emotion the education system can become very dull.
1. Kay, J. (2012). AI and education: grand challenges. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 27(5), 66-69.
2. Pinkwart, N. (2016). Another 25 years of AIED? Challenges and opportunities for intelligent educational technologies of the future. International journal of artificial intelligence in education, 26(2), 771-783.
3. Roll, I., & Wylie, R. (2016). Evolution and revolution in artificial intelligence in education. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 26(2), 582-599.
4. Walker, E., & Ogan, A. (2016). We’re in this together: Intentional Design of Social Relationships with AIED systems. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 26(2), 713-729.
5. Wenger, E. (2014). Artificial intelligence and tutoring systems: computational and cognitive approaches to the communication of knowledge. Morgan Kaufmann.