Delivery in day(s): 4
Organization Structure of BEC Company Proof Reading Service
BEC is pioneer in providing employee assistance services or program (EAP) in China since 2001. BEC is a leading firm in providing EAP as it has highly qualified employee. BEC serves its customers to provide their employees with psychological assistance to increase job satisfaction and reduce stress. Currently the business of BEC is growing but it has limited resources and limited employees which is increasing the pressure on existing employees. The types of job handled at BEC include interviewing customer employees, designing the project planning, face-to-face and telephonic consulting, designing promotional brochures, etc. At present BEC has adopted matrix organizational structure. Thus, company requires hiring more qualified employees and changing the current organizational structure.
Analysis of Case
BEC require hiring new employees. New employees are required to be trained on the basis of past experiences and issues faced in the organization. The role of training department in BEC is to design and develop training courses on psychological assistance for clients’ employees, customize training sessions for various customers, initiate employee assistant programs within customer organizations and develop book and other publications on EAP.
Job Description and Identifying Qualification
Defining job description of employee assistance consultant:
It is important to describe the job of employee assistance consultant to provide employees the required training skills.
- Telephone bases services: an employee assistant consultant should be provided training to assess the level of services that callers need.
- Telephonic counselling: During telephonic counselling, the employee has very short time to help caller with stress. Thus, the employee or counsellor requires a clinical training to provide client an appropriate advice (McLachlin, 1999)
- Report and log activities: employee requires maintaining the record of every caller and maintaining confidentiality. Thus he would require proficiency in computer, maintaining data, categorizing clients and compiling number. Hence, the employee should be provided training related to computer skills (McLachlin, 1999).
- Personal consultation: the employees are required to provide personal consultation to client’s employees. It involves interviewing employees, identifying problem and suggesting recommendations (Sievers and Beumer, 2006). It involves training the staff to comply with government regulations and training them to deal with HR issues such as work life balance workplace behaviour and stress reduction program.
Defining Job Description of Managers
There are two managers in the current organizational structure namely project manager and functional manager.
A project manager has following roles and responsibility-
- Defining roles and responsibilities: the managers of BEC are facing problem in understanding their roles and responsibilities. Thus training requires clarifying priorities and roles, defining job description and key performance matrix.
- Manage deadlines: managers and employees are facing problem that there are multiple deadlines which conflict with each other. Thus, managers are required to prioritize tasks and schedule effectively (Rice, 2013). Hence, managers required training of using action programs, activity logs and scheduling tools.
- Communicate clearly: it is found that there is communication gap in the organization. Thus, it is required to train managers to make them understand the importance of good communication in an organization and various ways to implement effective communication in the organization such as meetings and weekly progress updates (Mann, 2015)
- Handling diversity: in a matrix organization team, the working styles and opinion of two managers generally differs. It can lead to tension in future. Thus, managers are required training managing conflict and resolving issues.
A functional manager has following roles and responsibility-
- Scarce resources: the number of humanresource is limited and organization is handling various projects. Additionally, organization require to research extensively. Thus, managers require recruiting some more employees who are qualified for the post (Barker.et.al, 1988). Managers require training to manage scarce resources and human resource planning skills.
- Communication: it is responsibility of functional manager to provide proper communication flow and processing in the organization. Thus, manager requires training on effective ways of communication (Mann, 2015).
- Centralized control: functional manager has pressure from client side and other agencies, thus he requires having control over the projects carried in the organization (Rice, 2013). Thus, manager requires training on managing and controlling in the organization.
The qualification required and training needs identified in the case are as follows-
Training needs identified
Graduate and post graduate in psychology
Requires training the staff to comply with government regulations and training them to deal with HR issues such as work life balance workplace behaviour and stress reduction program (Elnaga and Imran, 2013). He needs training on computer proficiency and clinical training.
Training requires clarifying priorities and roles, defining job description and key performance matrix; using action programs, activity logs and scheduling tools; effective communication ways; managing conflict and resolving issues (Elnaga and Imran, 2013).
MBA (HR and Marketing)
Training to manage scarce resources and human resource planning skills; effective ways of communication; managing and controlling skills.
Identification of Major Issues
The major issues identified in the given case are as follows:
- Confusion regarding managerial responsibilities in current structure of BEC
- One employee receiving task from two departments (project head and department head) at same time
- Confusion about whom to report in the current structure
- Projects managers lack authority to delegate work to departmental employees
Current organizational structure is not problem as the business and profit of BEC has increased but the issue is that there is no clarity of responsibilities and work relationships for employees and managers (Ford and Randolph, 1992)
Designing Appropriate Training Session
Step 1- objective of training session should be clear
The objective of employee assistance program is to support client organization to improve its attendance, job performance, productivity and job satisfaction.
Step 2 - Scope of training should be clear
The problems handled and dealt with in the organization include the following-
- Stress management
- Emotional difficulties
- Legal troubles
- Interpersonal relationship
- Work life balance
- Healthy habits
- Conflict management
- Time management
- Team building
Step 3- Human resource planning
It is found that the demand of BEC services is increasing and the current HR is limited which is increasing their pressure. Thus, BEC require hiring new qualified employees. It is require that human resource planning. There are various models of human resource planning.
The key component of human resource planning is forecasting the number and type of employees required. BEC require professionals with graduate or post-graduate in psychology. There are many sources to fulfil demand of human resource such as educational institutions, recommendation of existing employees, former employees, employment consultancies etc (Ulrich, 2013). BEC can also apply internal supply of employees such as succession planning, replacement charts, departmental estimates and human resource management information systems.
Step 4- Conflict management
While designing future training sessions, Mr. Zheng should understand his leadership styles and should focus on maintaining good relations rather than achieving goal.
To minimize the issues in the organization, the best approaches which can be adopted are –
When to use
What does it imply
Avoiding or withdrawing
When you require more time and want to maintain neutrality but you will have to deal with conflict later
Move away from the situation
Accommodation or smoothing
When you want to maintain good will, peace and harmony
Do not hurt anyone’s sentiments
When the goals are high
Reach a decision taking aspect from both side
When you are sure you are right and accepting demands is unimportant (Alper.et.al, 2000)
Take decision for all
To gain commitment and maintain relationship
Take mutual decision
Currently the business of BEC is growing but it has limited resources and limited employees which is increasing the pressure on existing employees. Thus, company requires hiring more qualified employees and changing the current organizational structure. Current organizational structure is not problem as the business and profit of BEC has increased but the issue is that there is no clarity of responsibilities and work relationships for employees and managers. While designing future training sessions, Mr. Zheng should understand his leadership styles and should focus on maintaining good relations rather than achieving goal. The training program should be compatible with the long term strategy of the organization (Elnaga and Imran, 2013). Mr. Zheng should develop a human resource plan which contains the roles and responsibilities of each employee and a hierarchy of reporting relationship. He should adopt best practice and guidelines and review the training session by taking 360 degree feedback.
Alper, S., Tjosvold, D. and Law, K.S., 2000. Conflict management, efficacy, and performance in organizational teams. Personnel Psychology, 53(3), pp.625-642.
Barker, J., Tjosvold, D. and Andrews, I.R., 1988. Conflict Approaches of Effective and Ineffective Project Managers: A Field Study in a Matrix Organization . Journal of Management Studies, 25(2), pp.167-178.
Elnaga, A. and Imran, A., 2013. The effect of training on employee performance. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(4), pp.137-147.
Ford, R.C. and Randolph, W.A., 1992. Cross-functional structures: A review and integration of matrix organization and project management. Journal of management, 18(2), pp.267-294.
Mann, A., 2015. Communication, organisation, and action: Theory-building for social movements. Communication Research and Practice, 1(2), pp.159-173.
McLachlin, R.D., 1999. Factors for consulting engagement success. Management Decision, 37(5), pp.394-404.