Delivery in day(s): 4
MNG81001 Management Communication Assignments
According to Manel (2018) for marketing their wide range of product offerings and services, brand promotion and advertise across multiple target market and customers, the contributions of social media on fast food chain like McDonald is immensely significant. Through this report, discussions will be made about the possible advantages and disadvantages of social media usage coupled with business strategies that may be taken into account for designing its prospective Twitter campaigns and communication plan for building media relations.
1. According to Whiting and Deshpande (2016) for building productive engagement with targeted audiences, escalating traffic on corporate website or ecommerce sites by enabling connection and interactions amidst customer and organizational representatives at personal and emotional level with intent to develop brand image, it has been observed that social media has emerged as a potential business marketing and advertising tool in today’s contemporary business model. Usage of social media has further increased the scope for entrepreneurs worldwide to initiate and develop a brand by giving voice to their businesses. Besides, social media is also equally effective in attracting new customers by designing adequate campaigns for grabbing the attention of their followers with mind-blowing promotions and offerings. Once a decent fan following is secured, organizations can further shift their focus on tailored social media campaigns for winning their long-term brand loyalties. According to Kamboj and Sarmah (2018) with the help of advertising of products within the local communities in remunerative ways, significant contributions are made by social media in revenue generation through reduced costs. This happens because social media advertisements are usually linked an organization’s social page or official website, which assists in building brand awareness. However, according to Han and Kim (2017) use of social media also brings along certain disadvantages for businesses mainly revolving around the freedom of followers in negatively or giving fake comments about ones products and/or services, which is viewed by thousands of other followers, shared and liked a million of times thus, adversely impacting the sales figures. Although a quick response can mitigate the potential damage but cannot completely discontinue criticisms.
2. According to Sundstrom and Levenshus (2017) existing and potential customers, staffs, members of board, suppliers, media, food bloggers and journalist, health educators, thought leaders, politicians, and NPOs (nonprofit organisations) are the different audiences McDonald needs to address while making use of social media. For instance, to deal with needs of fast food lovers who are also health conscious at the same and promote the rising trend of healthy living and nutritional food, social media was used by McDonald for positioning the brand as healthy and low calories food promoter. Healthy food menu like salads, wraps, fat free ice creams, more fibred patties etc. was incorporated in the regular meals besides giving calorie counts for each food product. Moreover, it came up with a Q&A campaign for addressing its PR needs and covering up pink slime controversy for encouraging food lovers’ query about the ingredients used in their favourite menu by posting videos of how a food product was prepared.
3. Ahead of designing attractive Twitter campaigns, according to Lou (2017) it is necessary to evaluate and comprehend the dos and don’ts for brainstorming engaging content ideas followed by reviewing past content and campaigns and measuring their effectiveness. Themes and format generating more leads, interest and social shares, and tangible business outcomes should be identified for developing future campaigns. This should be followed by setting goals for social media strategy for targeting right audience within right timing besides, setting primary customer interest based themes, new food trends and the dynamics of market to ensure that the Twitter campaigns content taps the perceptions of target audiences. According to Husain, Ghufran and Chaubey (2016) for standing out from competition and cultivating idiosyncratic presence on Twitter, unique themes can be chosen by thinking out of the box ideas and building more nucleus account tweets integrating some challenging marketing strategy by utilizing networks having exclusive features and user base for building more rendezvous with audiences. The Twitter campaigns outcomes should be measured finally for interpreting its success.
4. According to Icha and Edwin (2016) for supporting strong media relationship and précised reporting a new social media strategy should be devised focusing on the communication plan depicted in the tabular format below.
The new social media campaign should be launched within 12 days of prior campaign’s negative discourse and criticisms.
Existing and potential customers, staffs, board members, suppliers, media, food bloggers and journalist, health educators, thought leaders, politicians, NPOs
Director of Social media (McDonald)
The new campaign should convey details about ingredients used in food products and the preparation process coupled with nutritional data and calorie count besides promoting McDonalds quality standards.
Rise in positive image about the food products of McDonald within target audiences, communicating nutritional info to health educators, strengthen ethical sourcing image amid community and NPOs.
Social media platform like Twitter
Videos, testimonials, expert reviews and customers comments
The new campaign should be posted twice a day
From the above study, finally it can be concluded that social media is widely contemplated as a powerful tool having significant contributions in establishing connections of business accounting organizations with direct customers. Moreover, social media when used in an effective way bestows numerous benefits on businesses in terms of brand awareness and attracting new customers to count a few. However it also has certain disadvantage revolving around negative publicity with fake contents hence, adequate planning and a captivating communication plan is required to build social media effectiveness.
1. Han, M. C. and Kim, Y. (2017). Social media commerce: Town square to market square. Pan - Pacific Journal of Business Research, 8(1), 29-46. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/2091587815?accountid=30552.
2. Husain, S., Ghufran, A. and Chaubey, D. S. (2016). Relevance of social media in marketing and advertising. Splint International Journal of Professionals, 3(7), 21-28. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1906047118?accountid=30552
3. Icha, O. and Edwin, A. (2016). Effectiveness of social media networks as a strategic tool for organizational marketing management. Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 21, 1-19. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1799378236?accountid=30552
4. Kamboj, S. and Sarmah, B. (2018). Construction and validation of the customer social participation in brand communities scale. Internet Research, 28(1), 46-73. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1994328948?accountid=30552
5. Lou, S. (2017). Applying data analytics to social media advertising: A twitter advertising campaign case study. Journal of Advertising Education, 21(1), 26-32,4. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1914440143?accountid=30552
6. Manel, H. (2018). Understanding social media advertising effect on consumers’ responses. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 31(3), 426-445. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-07-2017-0101
7. Sundstrom, B. and Levenshus, A. B. (2017). The art of engagement: Dialogic strategies on twitter. Journal of Communication Management, 21(1), 17-33. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1857991386?accountid=30552
8. Whiting, A. and Deshpande, A. (2016). Towards a greater understanding of social media marketing: A review. The Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 18(4), 82-91. Available: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1855298218?accountid=30552