Delivery in day(s): 4
Managing Human Resources Proof Reading Services
The purpose of this report is to guide the ACMA company for managing the performance of the line managers. The role line managers are very crucial as the firm is in the business of providing domestic & international flight booking through online market. The nature of the business is such that the employees are to be observed for their performance constantly. At the same point of time the role of line manager become very crucial as they will be the only means for approaching for any queries of the employees. Retaining the old customers without meeting them is a crucial aspect of the business. If the line managers are not good with handling the customer queries than the company will simple loose the customers as there are many other competitors to approach to for the customers. Line managers will constantly have to motivate the employees to provide the business mangement qualitative services. It is very important for the line managers to possess the leadership traits for making sure that they are being a good guide for the employees. In this report I am trying to focus upon the performance management of the line managers to make them equipped with the skills require to meet the needs of growing business.
Performance management is one of the most crucial aspect for the organization be it in any business. It is very important for the organization to be concerned of their employees & so is the concern for their performance. If the performance of the employees as well as managers cannot be checked & compare than the constant process of improvement in the performance cannot be taken place. It is essential for the organization to motivate the employees as well as managers to improve their performance. Organization can play very important role in doing that.
In simple word performance management is the contribution of each individual working in the organization to let the organization achieve its goals. If the organization fails to achieve the decided goals than not just the organization but even the employees will be in loss. It is very important for the organization to make the employees & managers understand that the growth of organization & employees is interdependent upon each other. To achieve the growth for both organization as well as employees, they will have to walk together. The organization’s performance will be the outcome of their performance
It is very important for ACMA company to make sure that the employees as well as manager’s goals are aligned with the goal of the organization. If there is a goal incongruence than neither the organization nor the employees will able to achieve their goals. The individual goals of the employees as well as line managers should be aligned with the goals of the organization so that the performance of the employees are up to the mark. If the employees as well as managers will able to achieve their goals while achieving the organization’s goals than they will remain motivated to work harder
Implementing an effective performance management system in the organization
It is very important for ACMA to implement the performance management system which is efficient as well as effective to make sure that the performance of employees along with line managers are recorded &analyzed for providing the feedback for the improvement. To ignite this process followings are the important aspect to be considered:
1. It is very important at this point of time for the organization to define the roles &responsibilities of each individual working in the organization. The roles &responsibilities should be very clear for both employees as well as line managers.
2. It is very important for the organization to establish the culture in the organization which is in sync with the performance system that is to be implemented. If the organizational culture does not go along with the system than the outcome will not be positive.
3. ACMA should keep the goals & objectives achievable.
4. It is very important for the organization to establish tow way communication where employee is free to communicate with the line managers. This will minimize the possible ambiguities.
5. Recognition to the employees as well as managers is very crucial aspect of performance management. Company can opt for monetary as well as non-momentary reward system for the recognition of employee achievement.
6. For the company like ACMA it is very crucial to keep the non-monetary rewards handy to make sure that the employees are motivated. For example, the employee who has performed well for the last month will be awarded employee of the month tag & he/ she will be wearing it for the whole next month. This will not just motivate the employees who have achieved it but it will also motivate others to achieve that.
7. The company should be open about the feedback. The feedback given should be constructive rather than emotional. The employee should be in position to fetch something out of the feedback given to him
Performance management cycle
Performance management cycle consisting of three different stages or steps which will allow the organization to create a good performance management system in the organization. The three step includes planning, monitoring & review & evaluation of the system. The performance cycle begins with planning. Since it is cycle it is not going to end instead it will restart again.
1. Making sure that the employees as well as managers are doing exactly what they were hired to do. Comparing the current profile &responsibilities of the employees & managers & comparing it with their job description seems the right way to find out the actual reality.
2. Designing the work in such a way that it enables the employees to achieve the organizational as well as individual goals.
3. Looking into the current situation of the organization, human resources department has to play crucial role. Since the organization is planningto hire more employees, human resources department should be given the set of objectives which should be achievable & measurable. For example, if the manager of the department has been asked to hire twenty employees in the span of three month than it can be reviewed later on. Also, the performance of the department can be analyzed on the basis of cross checking the skills & ability of new employees with the instructed skill set required to perform the job.
4. There should be set of goals given to the line managers which should be achievable in the given time duration. After the even time duration is over the performance of the line managers can be checked & constructive feedback can be given to them for the improvement in their performance.
5. Since the line managers are not very skillful when it comes to managerial sophistications like leadership, it is very important to provide them with training which will able to help them their performance.
6. It is very important for the organization to evaluate the performance of the line managers before as well as after the training is given. Their performance improvement after that training is given should be shared & discuss with them so that they can be motivated
Monitoring includes assessment of the performance of employees as well as managers to make sure that they are moving to the path that can lead to the achievement of organizational goals. Any changes in the plan or the goals of the organization should be communicated clearly to avoid confusion.
Review & evaluate
This phase includes the reviewing of the performance of the employees as well as managers. Thins should be carried out in such a way that the employees are not demotivated due to the feedback but they should able to self-analyzed their performance & accept the flows & made ready for omitting them in future.
Role of line managers
Role of line managers in designing & implementing the performance management system will be very crucial. They will be the key people designing the details of performance management as well as implementing it in the organization. It is very important for line managers to understand that they have to be support for the employees throughout the process. Performance management should not just be taken as a mere piece of reality to fulfill the documentation of the organizational policy but it should be taken as the opportunity which will help the lie managers to improve their performance as well as the performanceof the employees. Following are the important guidelines for line managers:
1. Taking the lead for communicating the details of the performance management system is must. If employees do not know the performance management parameters than they will not able to performaccording to the organizational expectations.
2. The process of performance management should be kept as simple as possible as employees will not like the complex performance management system prevailing in the organization. It is very important to keep it as brief as possible to keep the interest of the employees intact in it.
3. Line managers will have to make sure that instead of focusing only upon the employee monitoring they shouldalso be focusing upon their self-improvement as well as their performance improvement. Instead of just spending most of the time in mentoring the employees they should also have some of the goals to be achieved
I would like to recommend to ACMA to evaluate the current prevailing performance management system if there is any on the basis of the suggested performance management cycle. If the organization is already having some system for the management of the performance than comparing it with suggested one will able to provide the missing elements in the system. Those missing elements should be added to achieve the improvement in the performance management system which is currently prevailing in the organization.
If there is no performance management system in the organization than also the line managers should try to analyses the system should molded it in according to the organizational culture & policies. It is very important verify before implementing the performance management system that if it can be adopted in their organization or not. The system which is working effectively in some other organization may be a total disaster in our organization. So, focusing upon the implementation part is crucial before actual implementation of the system.
1. Aguinis, Herman, 2009. Performance management.s.l.:Pearson Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ.
2. Bouckaert, Geert and Halligan, John and others, 2007. Managing performance: International comparisons.s.l.:Routledge.
3. Chen, Chung-Jen and Huang, Jing-Wen, 2009. Strategic human resource practices and innovation performance—The mediating role of knowledge management capacity. Journal of business research,62(1), pp. 104--114.
4. Chen, Chung-Jen and Huang, Jing-Wen, 2009. Strategic human resource practices and innovation performance—The mediating role of knowledge management capacity. Journal of business research,62(1), pp. 104-114.
5. Franco-Santos, Monica and Kennerley, Mike and Micheli, Pietro and Martinez, Veronica and Mason, Steve and Marr, Bernard and Gray, Dina and Neely, Andrew, 2007. Towards a definition of a business performance measurement system. International Journal of Operations \& Production Management,27(8), pp. 784--801.