Delivery in day(s): 5
Managing Business Activities Oz Assignment
Part A: Elevator Pitches
Elevator Pitch for Topic 7 (Managing Strategies)
Question: What is your ‘killer idea’ to counter the drift from bricks-and-mortar retail to online?
In order to revive the business and to ensure that the retail organization is successfully able to attain a larger market, it needs to be the aim of the business managers to plunge into the e-commerce marketing domain. Hence, in this scenario, the organization needs to take up the online domain and try a competitive pricing strategy. In order to ensure that it is able to find success in this domain, the company can sell these products online at a comparatively lower price to gain the attention of the consumers. Moreover, these lower prices will not impact the operations of the firm as well because its costs will considerably come down due to the low operating costs of an online store. Just like Harvey Norman, the retail store needs to adjust with the changing trends of the market.
Elevator Pitch for Topic 8 (Shaping Organizational Culture)
Question: What would you say to Sam? You’d also like to recommend a few pieces of reading for Sam to consider
In my response, I would like to inform Sam that the culture of an organization has an extensive impact on the performance of an organization or a unit at large. As observed in Sam`s case, the organizational culture of Sam has contributed towards the poor performance of the organization and thereby it has led to a need of the establishment of an innovative culture. Hence, Sam can now implement a culture of employ engagement within the organizational culture in order to ensure that innovation can be fostered. The different employees can be rewarded for their ideas and dedicate extensive time for innovation in the organization. For this reason, it will be beneficial for Sam to engage the employees in the planning of the firm so that the organizational culture of the organization can be maintained along with ensuring innovation within the unit.
The different readings as suggested for Sam are as follows:
1. Dixon, N. M. (2017). The organizational learning cycle: How we can learn collectively. Routledge.
2. Brettel, M., Chomik, C., & Flatten, T. C. (2015). How organizational culture influences innovativeness, proactiveness, and risk?taking: Fostering entrepreneurial orientation in SMEs. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(4), 868-885.
Part B: Case discussion Activity
Case discussion activity for Topic 8 (Shaping Organizational Culture)
Case name: Can a strong culture be too strong?
My responses to the question (What management problems do you believe confront the protagonists at Parivar?) Posted on (date)
The case study on the Chennai based IT organization named Parivar is a classic example of how the different organizations exhibit a particular kind of culture which is often not suitable for the organization and often results in the downfall of the general employees. The main problems which confront the CEO at Parivar are as follows:
The Paternalistic Culture: The organization is treating the different members of the organization like children or in a manner which they are treated in school. However, this is not the case and the different employees are required to ensure that an innovative work culture needs to be established in order to be successful in the long run.
Lack of Hygiene Factors: Moreover the compensation paid to the employees is comparatively lower which makes it further demotivating to work (Youtube.com, 2018).
A claustrophobic environment: In addition to this, the environment at the office is quite claustrophobic in nature due to the constant tracking.
Answer to Question 1: Conflicting values
There are quite a few conflicting values as present in the case study with the Parivar organization and they have been stated as follows:
The cost to be incurred: In implementing the new program, the organization has not been concerned with the costs that will be associated with it and have been only concerned with the outcomes. However, costs formulate an essential part of the organization and hence, the firm needs to ensure that it is successfully able to get a return on their investments (Craig, 2017).
The love culture: Secondly, the conflicting nature of the business environment clashes with the love culture. Competition and targets form the basis of the organization and thus for this reason, the organization needs to ensure that it is successfully able to decide upon love culture of competition and performance.
The high turnover rate: If this love culture which is being practiced by the organization is so successful the turnover rate of the organization should not have been this high (de Waal, 2016). However, as it is high, this reflects that the love culture is not working well.
Answer to Question 2: Advice
Indira and sudhir can be advised to ensure that they take a thorough research. Indira needs to go deeper into the passive exit interviews which she undertakes in order to understand the primary reason of the high turnover rate to realize whether it is the low compensation or the paternalistic work culture. Once a particular factor has been successfully identified, Indira can then adopt the correct measures. Secondly, Sudhir needs to relax the love culture because, the organization is growing at a rapid rate and since not everyone is not being able to revive equal love, they feel that there prevails biasness in the organization (Garvin, Natarjan & Dowling, 2014).
Answer to Question 3: Management competencies
1. The case highlights that the following competencies are crucial:
2. Self-awareness: The individual needs to ensure that as leaders they are self-aware in nature and understand their shortcomings well.
3. Intellectual curiosity: They also need to be full of intellectual curiosity in order to develop cognitively.
4. Cross generational management: As different generational employees have become a common concept, the leader needs to be efficient in cross generational management as well
5. Case discussion activity for Topic 11 (Organizational Change)
6. Case name: Welcome aboard (But don’t change a thing)
7. My responses to the question. Posted on (date)
The major problems which are being faced by Cheryl relates to the problem of lacking board support. The extensive growth plans being taken by Cheryl lack board support and they seem to be very advanced in nature when compared to the plans which were adopted by the organization earlier (McNulty et. al., 2002). Moreover, the other problems being faced by the CEO relates to the problem relating to the lack of employee engagement. Although Cheryl wants to give rise to an engaging work environment, however, she is not being able to take the views of the different employees which portrays her as an autocratic leader.
Answer to Question 1: Conflicting values
The values which are conflicting in nature for the organization are values like the advanced growth drive which Cheryl envisions for the organization. She has had these plans for the organization since a very long time and thereby wants to adopt an aggressive growth strategy and try differentiation strategies as well which compromise on the quality of the products having been provided by the organization (Samson & Daft, 2015). However, this is not the case with the rest of the organization and as they have functioned under the previous CEO, they do not want to compromise on the quality and maintain the integrity of the unions as well and manufacture the products in USA only and also manufacture good quality products.
Answer to Question 2: Advice to resolve
In order to solve the conflicting issues which have been taking place in the organization, Cheryl needs to ensure that before planning for foreign expansions or aggressive growth rates, she is required to first take into consideration that the employees consider her as one of them and that she successfully engages with all the levels of the employees who are present in the organization (YouTube., 2018). Having done this, in order to ensure creativity and innovation with growth, Cheryl can then take the advice from the employees with respect to the growth strategy which is required to be adopted by the organization.
Answer to Question 3: Management competencies
The management or leadership competencies which are highlighted in the case study are as follows:
Conflict Resolution: All leaders in the VUCA world should be successfully able to resolve the conflicts effectively (Waddell et al., 2016).
Team building: The managers should also comprise of team building skills to ensure employee relation engagement
Change agent: The manager or the leader should possess the skill of a change agent and be able to successfully transform the organization
Problem-solving: The leader or the manager should be able to effectively solve the different problem in hand.
1. Craig, C. (2017). Uber ugliness unmasks silicon valley's bro culture. InfoWorld.Com. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/docview/1871789499?accountid=10344
2. de Waal, A. (2016). Searching for effective change interventions for the transformation into a high-performance organization. Management Research Review, 39(9), 1080-1104.
3. Garvin, D.A., Natarjan, G. & Dowling, D (2014). Can a Strong Culture Be Too Strong? Harvard Business Review. Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 92 Issue 1/2, p113-117. 5p. Available at: http://web.b.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=54de4b7b-4a92-4e2b-b6af-09e877638494%40pdc-v-sessmgr02&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=93302856&db=bth
4. McNulty, E., Calcidise, K., Benton, D., Cohen, D &
Aversano, N. (2002). Welcome, Aboard (But Don't Change a Thing). Harvard Business Review. Oct2002, Vol. 80 Issue 10, p32-40 Available at: http://web.a.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=864a96d9-1489-40f5-92ce- 21af0ba27fe4%40sessionmgr4008&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=7433807&db=heh
5. Samson, D., & Daft, R. (2015). The internal environment: Corporate culture. Management (5th Asia Pacific Ed.). South Melbourne: Cengage Learning. Retrieved from ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral-proquest-om.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/lib/CSUAU/detail.action?docID=1991004.
6. Waddell, D., Creed, A., Cummings, C., & Worley, C. (2016). Managing resistance and organisational culture. Organisational change: Development and transformation (pp. 98-116). Retrieved from https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au
7. YouTube. (2018). 'Topic 8 Shaping organizational culture & Topic 10 Designing Database (YouTube) | Available at: https://youtu.be/TcrwII6gbTU (Accessed on: 12 Sept. 2018).
8. Youtube.com. (2018). `Topic 11 Organizational Change' (YouTube) | Available at: https://youtu.be/GyZhGtLXu78 (Accessed on 12 Sept.2018)