Delivery in day(s): 4
Develop Workplace Policy and Procedures for Sustainability
It has become a significant aspect for organizations and companies looking to contend while working for public contracts to display a sustainability policy. Every governmental body are positioned on the edge to reduce carbon emission, decrease waste and improve sustainability (Ball, Grubnic & Birchall, 2014). Therefore, it is important that any service or good that is produced by organizations must assure their contribution to a better environment, society and community (Anderson & Dees, 2017). A sustain policy can be defined as a document that is continuously updated with the legislation and understanding of environmental, societal, and employee benefits well-being. The report is the presentation of a sustainability policy of an Australian based construction company. The report is dived into two parts, the first part is the planning sustainability policy and the second part is regarding the policy’s cope and the way the policy will be beneficial for the organization. Lastly, the conclusion will be drawn considering the policy and the organization together.
Part A- Planning sustainability policy
Plan and develop the policy
The Australian construction industry works to build the essential households and infrastructure needed in the state. The industry accounts for more than 10 per cent GDP and consists more than one million people. There is a need for sustainability policy due to the following factors:
Work related injuries: The construction industry is one of the most common work-related injuries experiencing by workers. The injuries were caused mainly caused due to hitting or being hit by any object, lifting or pushing of objects and falls from a height (Taylor Moore et al., 2013).
Work related fatalities: when work-related fatalities are discussed, the construction industry widely known for the amount of death occurs every year. These death are caused by various ways such as vehicle collisions, electrocution, being trapped between or in equipment and most commonly falling from roof (Australia, 2015).
Environmental preservation: several factors are associated with the environmental preservation. Construction industry is considered as one of the most common industry contributing to the environmental hazards. The constructions companies release excessive amount of wastage polluting water, air and soil. This makes the development of the sustainability policy (Shreekant, & VARDHAN, 2016).
According to Safe Work Australia, there are several guidelines the industry consists that are mentioned below:
Work health safety and safety duties: The PCBUs are subject to certain and specific duties in the field of construction. The general and specific rules are under the model WHS laws. The duties and general rules that the PCBUs have to abide are as follows:
The model WHS Regulation require the person responsible for the construction work to take care of the safety matters by consulting with the designer of a structure. The designer should be given all the information regarding the structure and the construction site to develop and assure the safety matters.
A PCBU who is the person carrying out the construction has to look after and manage the WHS risks associated with work and ensure the construction site as a safe place for the workers.
There should be mandatory use of signage posted at the construction site for various areas that can cause accidents.
Under the model, WHS Act the person responsible for management and control of the construction site must ensure practices that are practical and risk free (Pillay, 2013).
1. The vision:The Vision of the policy for the Petron Construction will be primarily knowing the fact that the company is working to leave the world in a better condition for the next generation.
2. Principles:It is known that Petron Construction provides service for the economic growth and development however it is significant to acknowledge that the construction industry is accountable for 40% of the total waste across the globe and for the safety measures. Therefore, it is important to implement sustainability policies. The main focus of Petron Construction policy are:
3. Green product portfolio: according to green product portfolio, the company will eliminate usage of the products that are not under the list of energy efficient along with less durability and high maintenance. All these mentioned factors make the business contribute to the environmental hazards to a great extent. The company will improve on its product selection, emphasizing on the raw material suppliers. Green products are the products that are free from the ozone depleting chemicals or toxic compounds.
4. Energy and water efficiency: electricity, water consumption and transportation are the prime factors. All areas within the company will have limited washrooms, warehouse and traffic flow with motion sensors. All the employees will be encouraged to turn lights off when not in use. Company will use equipment and appliances that are energy start rated or equivalent. All the indoor and outdoor lights will be primarily used with solar energy with a backup plan of which would be relying on non-renewable source.
5. Zero-accidental goals: According to zero-accidental goal, there should not be any employee getting injured in the construction site. Construction sites are widely known for the accidents occurring in the sites. Therefore, there will be measures such as preventive equipment and constant update regarding the danger zones. The company is determined to use better quality products important for the safety of the workers. The company will ensure person who would be accountable for taking care of the important areas prone to accidents. Employees will be physically examined to avoid ill employees enrolling for work.
Identify and consult with stakeholders
Stakeholder engagement is vital in designing and developing a policy however, it is critical and often overlooked. The company will inform the stakeholders regarding the policy that would help them implementing the policy as well. The company’s marketing team needs the research on customer behavior as well to identify customer’s behavior. it is important for the company to include the investors, local community staff and technical specialist to create an awareness and inform regarding the sustainability policy (Mok, Shen & Yang, 2015).
The policy has several effectiveness. The policy will enhance the portfolio of the company by enrolling under the sustainability adapted company (Marhani et al., 2013). The company will have various benefits in the long-run while there can be very less short-term benefits. The existing policies of the organizations will be modified and be replaced with the new sustainability policies. This change will improve the quality of the service that the company produces.
Part B- Write sustainability policy 400
The scope of the policy
The sustainability plan of Petron Construction will be implemented and reviewed every year on annual basis. It has been prepared with considerations of the environmental analysis and safety measures such as WWE and WHS viewpoints and guidance. This principles are the guidance for every member associated with the company including the PCBUs, vendors, clients, stakeholders and other associated members. The policy will apply to all events, functions and workshops that are coordinated by Petron Construction. The policy is beyond a simple strategy for the company therefore is determined to achieve its goals and objectives.
Organization’s commitment to sustainability
Petron Construction is committed to contribute in the making of a sustainable world. The company is determined to reduce the environmental impacts causes by the company and improve worker’s safety measures. The company has a commitment to continue its sustainability policies and solutions to ensure environment is benefits from the company as well in its own way. Although Petron Construction is a core business based on construction that is well known for emitting pollution, it is through the construction industry that improved projects are developed to save environment.
Since public awareness of sustainability has grown, it is important for businesses to adopt sustainability policies. Not only due to public awareness but also as responsible organization, business should be implementing sustainable policies (Bryde, Broquetas & Volm, 2013). Making sustainability policy is easier for organization with the good motive in mind however, it is the implementation that is the major challenge involving the corporate culture and employee attitude. Since the plan is for three to five years the company will set short-term milestones to evaluate the progress. Managing the organizational change needs leaders who will be able to lead the team members toward the goal. The company will ensure the policy is well regulated by assigning responsibilities to leaders in control and management. The sustainability policies will be communicated to the stakeholders and associated vital members who facilitate the process. Lastly, the company will work on modifications that are needed time to time in the long duration of achieving the final goal. The marketing department will consider the customer’s need regarding the sustainability. Financial planning will be conducted for the process of change thinking about the total capital of the business (Therivel, 2013)
Petron Construction is a leading provider of essential infrastructure service to the Australian residential as well as commercial sector. The industry is recognized to be able to provide satisfying and rewarding work to people regardless of the employer’s background or gender. However, there is a need for carrying out its work productively, economically and safely and while taking care of the risk management and safety issues. Developing appropriate waste management, and creating value and quality are added concern of the industry as well. In the end, it can be concluded that the company will have long term benefits with the policies mentioned above and the implementing strategies that the company has created. It is important to take initiative and bring change in the industry.
1. Anderson, B. B., & Dees, J. G. (2017). Sector-bending: Blurring the lines between nonprofit and for-profit. In In search of the nonprofit sector (pp. 65-86). Routledge.
2. Australia, S. W. (2015). Work-related traumatic injury fatalities, Australia, 2014. Canberra: Safe Work Australia.
3. Ball, A., Grubnic, S., & Birchall, J. (2014). 11 Sustainability accounting and accountability in the public sector. Sustainability accounting and accountability, 176.
4. Bryde, D., Broquetas, M., & Volm, J. M. (2013). The project benefits of building information modelling (BIM). International journal of project management, 31(7), 971-980.
5. Marhani, M. A., Jaapar, A., Bari, N. A. A., & Zawawi, M. (2013). Sustainability through lean construction approach: A literature review. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 101, 90-99.
6. Mok, K. Y., Shen, G. Q., & Yang, J. (2015). Stakeholder management studies in mega construction projects: A review and future directions. International Journal of Project Management, 33(2), 446-457.
7. Pillay, M. (2013). Harmonisation of Construction Health and Safety Laws in Australia.
8. Shreekant, R. L., & VARDHAN, A. M. H. (2016). Utilisation of Mine Waste in the Construction Industry–A Critical Review. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, 9, 182-195.
9. Taylor Moore, J., Cigularov, K. P., Sampson, J. M., Rosecrance, J. C., & Chen, P. Y. (2013). Construction workers’ reasons for not reporting work-related injuries: an exploratory study. International journal of occupational safety and ergonomics, 19(1), 97-105.
10. Therivel, R. (2013). Business Strategic Environmental Assessment: An Overview. In Strategic Environmental Assessment in Action(pp. 19-31). Routledge.