Delivery in day(s): 3
Cultural Diversity and Inclusive Leadership Assignment Help
The Australian Human rights commission has reflected the fact that Australia’s multi cultarislm is self evident. It has been reported that 28 percent of the entire population was born overseas. Another 20 percent of the population has the overseas born parent. The fact of the cultural diversity was not reflected by the senior managers in the organizations of Australia. But, the need for the maintenance of the cultural diversity has been raised by the Australian Human right commission to increase the productivity of the Australian organizations with the better decision making concept in an important manner (PWC, 2016). Thus, the discussion is all about the importance of the leaders to understand regarding the positive aspect of the diversity maintenance in the modern organizations along with the way that the leaders use to influence and support the cultural diversity in the Australian organization in a great manner.
Importance of the leaders to understand the cultural diversity in modern organisations
It has been observed that the cultural composition of the senior level managers in the Australian organization is dominated by the Anglo Celtic is all aspects in terms of senior level managers , politics, government and the civil societies in an important manner. Therefore, it can be stated that the diverse background of the cultures are not maintained by the management in these organizations.
Figure 1: Senior level manager’s composition in Australian organizations
From the above diagram, it has been observed that the Anglo – celtic population is dominating all the fields of the Australia in an effective manner. As per the view of Barak, (2013), Leading for change in terms of the cultural diversity use to focus on the three dimensions such as Leadership, culture and the system. From the aspect of the change in the leadership, it is required by the leaders to understand that with the help of the cultural diversity the competitive advantage can be taken place within the organizations with the variety of the decision making process towards the better productivity with the cumulative effort of the leaders of the organisation. It is referred to as the “Skin in the game”. It also has been supported by Wang, et al. (2013), that the sustain with the change in the organisation, the cultural diversity is required to be embedded in the organization leadership culture. The achievable and the realistic targets can be attained with the help of the cultural diversity concept in an important manner.
On the other hand, it also has been mentioned by Groysberg & Connolly (2013), that the professional development can be attained with the help of the concept of the cultural diversity in an important manner. To maintain the cultural diversity it is required to remove the discrimination and the inequality fact from the organization culture. The Australian organizations as well as the leaders are required to redefine their thoughts regarding the diversity maintenance to work as a team with the input of the essence of the different cultural impacts on the system of the organization. But, on the other hand , if the cultural diversity in not maintained or handled with the effective manner, then the diversity can bring down the productivity and the reputation of the organization in a negative manner.
From the term cultural diverse means, the Varity of the population in Australia in terms of ethnicity, race, gender, sex. Australia has been recognised the highest diverse country in the global market. But, this cultural diversity is not maintained in the organizations of Australia. The immigration in Australia has resulted the cultural diversity in Australia. The cultural diversity is the strength of the nation. But the power inequality by giving the privilege to the white population is the drawback that the organizations are executing in the business operations. But, in the competitive market , it is required to bring the continuous change to cope with the ever changing global market with the innovation requirements by the customers in terms of the products and the services, Now, it is required to understand by the managers that the diverse leadership term can only bring the changes in the production system and the production capacity with the inclusion of the different strategies implemented by the different diverse set of the leaders of the organisation through their cumulative effort (Jonsen, Tatli, Özbilgin,, & Bell, 2013).
The concept of the inclusion of the different values and the different voices are given preference in the effective decision making process to reach the organization goals and targets in a productive manner with the correct allocation of the human resources and the other resources along with the concept of the innovation in the operational system in an important manner (Jonsen, Tatli, Özbilgin,, & Bell, 2013). As per the view of (Boehm & Dwertma (2015), the employees in the organizations feel valued when they use to feel the value of equalities and the value of the belongingness with the organisation culture. In this aspect , it can be stated that the inclusive leadership is referred to the term of the important attributes that the leaders are required to adapt in terms of promote the inclusion in the organization in an effective manner. Here, it is important to understand by the leaders that the leadership is required to be come from more than one cultural form by maintaining the fact that every leaders are unique to offer their effort in the important decision making process for the better productivity of the organisation to remove the barriers from the competitors as the important external factor for the better and competitive outcome of the organization in the Australian as well as in the global market.
The analysis by Mc Kinsey has revealed the fact that the diversity maintenance in the leadership use to bring the better financial outcome from the production report in an effective manner. Mc Kinsey has focused on the change in the leadership with the inclusion of the diversity maintenance in the leadership approaches in the organizations for the better performance outcome in a positive manner. He has focused on the centred leadership approach in an effective manner.
As the employees of the Australian organizations are from the diverse cultural background, then it is important to employ the leaders from the diverse cultural background so that they will be able to engage, connect and manage the diverse set of employees with the organization in an effective manner. The presence of the diverse cultured leaders are the backbone of the organization development and the better outcome in terms of the production capacity with the help of the team work and with the help of the innovative decision making process. To make the effective maintenance of the diversity maintenance in the organizations, it is important to maintain the data of progress so that the necessary changes can be done with the leadership approaches and innovation in a proper manner (Gurdjian, Halbeisen, & Lane, 2014).
Way that the leaders use to influence and support the cultural diversity at the workplace:
To maintain the cultural diversity, it is important that the leaders use the take the necessary steps to influence and support the cultural diversity at the workplace. As per the view of Desjardins & Baker (2013), the creation of the inclusive and the supportive work environment is the most important step to be taken by the leaders of the Australian Organizations. Once the organization is able to recruit the correct set of the diverse workforce, it is required by the leaders to successfully engage the diverse set of the employees with the norms and values of the organization. `The following steps are required to be implemented by the leaders to manage the diverse set of the employees as below:
- Proper orientation with the organization
- proper employee engagement and retention of the employees with the organization
- Effective performance management for the diverse set of employees
- Making the arrangements for the flexible working environment for the diverse set of employees
- Making the proper arrangements for the interpersonal communications among the leaders and the diverse employee set of the organization
- Making the arrangements for the continuous learning and the development program to retain the diverse set of the employees with the organization
- Maintaining the superior work culture
- Arrangement of the diversity training in an effective manner
- Proper mentoring of the performance of the diverse set of employees with the proper feedback sessions so that the employees will feel valued for the organization (Gurdjian, Halbeisen, & Lane, 2014)
Along with these steps, it is also required by the management as well as the leaders to develop the proper strategic plan to promote the diversity maintenance in the Australian organizations in a positive manner. The six critical elements for the strategic diversity maintenance planning are as below:
- A compelling analysis of the business case with the identification of the advantages of the diversity for the organization.
- Recommendations offering for the perfect involvement of all the diverse set of employees with the business activities as a team work
- Institutionalization of the diversity initiative for the strategic plan at the executive level.
- The clear identification of the goals and the targets to fill the gap with the help of the diverse set of employees in the organization with the effective touch of the motivation offering by the leaders of the organization so that they will feel valued for the organization.
- Maintaining the diversity metrics to track the effective progress towards the achievement of the goals in an effective manner.
- Maintaining the accountability metrics which use to hold the managers for the effective meeting of the diversity goals.
The offering the importance by the leaders to the values of the employees along with the perfect involvement of the diverse range of the employees with the organization should be maintained in a proper manner. Also, the encouragement should be offered to the employees to learn the new skills as per the requirement of the organization for the better productivity. The leaders are required to focus on the fact that the impact of the diverse employees in the organization will have the success or the failure consequences as per the controlling nature of the employees by the leaders in an effective manner (Groysberg & Connolly, 2013).
Taking the ownership and communicating the vision and the mission statements in clear manner with the diverse set of the employees is the additional effort by the leaders to be taken to maintain the strong interpersonal communication for the better productivity of the organization. Respect offering to the dignity of the individual diverse range of the employees in the organization, maintaining the integrity fact, Building the trust factor in the employees regarding the intervention of the leaders, maintaining the credibility, and the fact of the continuous improvement as well as the personal renewal are the crucial sections to be concentrated by the leaders in the organization to maintain the diversity at the workplace in an effective manner. The survey process should by the leaders regarding the perception of them towards the intervention of the leaders should be judged for the further improvisation of the leadership intervention to maintain the diversity at the workplace.
Based on the entire discussion, it can be stated that it is important by the organizations of Australia to maintain the leadership diversity in order to bring the better productivity through the business operations in an effective manner. At the same time, it is also important by the leaders to offer the exclusive range of the intervention strategies to maintain the diversity at the workplace to retain the great workforce in the organization for the better productivity and also to bring the competitive advantaged in the organisation.
- Barak, M. (2013). Managing diversity: Toward a globally inclusive workplace. London: Sage Publications.
- Boehm, S., & Dwertmann, D. (2015). Forging a single-edged sword: Facilitating positive age and disability diversity effects in the workplace through leadership, positive climates, and HR practices. Work, Aging and Retirement , 1 (1), 41-63.
- Desjardins, C., & Baker, M. (2013). The Leadership Task Model. Journal of Applied Leadership and Management , 2 (2).
- Groysberg, B., & Connolly, K. (2013). Great leaders who make the mix work. Harvard Business Review , 91 (9), 68-76.
- Gurdjian, P., Halbeisen, T., & Lane, K. (2014). Why leadership-development programs fail. McKinsey quarterly , 121-126.
- Jonsen, K., Tatli, A., Ö. M., & Bell, M. (2013). The tragedy of the uncommons: Reframing workforce diversity. Human Relations , 66 (2), 271-294.
- PWC. (2016). Leading for change. Australia: PWC.