Delivery in day(s): 5
COM6650 Professional Issues in IT Oz Assignment
Case Study 1:
Answer to question number 1
Jean who was the statistical database programmer generally engages in writing statistical programs which is generally required by the organization. It is found that the programmers who are mainly associated with the organization behaviour generally writes regarding their work and generally publishes the algorithms within the journals. It is analyzed after working hard for several months on the programs, Jean get stuck within several parts of the programming. Without knowing the complexity of the program, the manager of the organization asked Jean to finish the entire work within few days. As Jean does not know how to resolve the difficulties that are associated with programming she remembers the source listings that is mainly shared by one of her friends. She uses two parts of coding from that source listings and completes the entire work within 1 day. However, Jean does not tell this matter to anyone.
It is found that using someone else working within their own program without taking permission is considered as one of the ethical issues . It is found that the act that is mainly undertaken by Jean is unethical as she uses the code of her friend and utilizes it within her program in order to finish the work of programming within the time that is provided by the managers and does not informs about this matter to anyone. It is found that using someone else work without taking permission for them is one of the ethical issues which should not have undertaken by Jean.
An answer to question number 2
The ACS code of professional conduct is considered as one of the important as well as essential characteristics of a profession that is generally needed for the members in order to abide by the code of ethics. The ACS professional code of conduct that is required in every organization are mainly elaborated below:
1. Primacy of the public interest: As per this ACS professional code of conduct, one needs to place the interests of the public above business, personal as well as other sectional interests . It is found that the acts of both the manager and Jean is against this ACS code of conduct.
2. Enhancement of quality of life: This professional code of conduct states that it quite necessary to improve the quality of life who are generally affected due to the work pressure .Thus, the managers of the organization must take the responsibility of improving the life of Jean including all the staffs of the organizations so that they can feel better instead of the pressure that they are facing for completing the programming within a short period of time.
3. Honesty: This code of professional conduct states that one need to be very much honest while representing their skills, services as well as knowledge. It is found that Jean, who was one of the statistical database programmers utilizes the code from her friend’s source listing and utilizes this within the programs in order to complete it on time. While representing her program, Jean does not inform that some codes are copied from her friends file which is against the ACS professional code of conduct.
4. Competence: It is the responsibility to work diligently as well as competently with the stakeholders of the organization . However, it is identified from the case study that Jean does not work efficiently for its team members as she uses code from another friends file in order to complete the programming is unethical as well as against the professional code of conduct.
5. Professional development: It is quite necessary to enhance own professional development as well as of its staffs. However, from the case study, it is found that the manager of the organization does not involves within the professional development of its workers rather pressurizes Jean to complete the work that is associated with programming within few days without knowing the complexity of the work.
6. Professionalism: As per the ACS professional code of conduct, it is very much necessary to enhance integrity of the ACS as well as the respect of its members . However, it is analyzed that Jean does not follow this professional code of conduct and the activities that are undertaken by Jean is against the ACS professional code of conduct.
The various types of clauses that generally helps in highlighting the responsibilities of Jean towards other stakeholders of the organizations are mainly listed below:
7. Be honest: It is the responsibility of Jean to handle the work of the organization honestly in order to avoid unethical issues as well as challenges within the organizations.
8. Be fair while taking actions: It is one of the important responsibilities of Jean to take fair actions so that no ethical issues within the organization will occur .
9. Respecting work: Jean should respect the work that she is doing. It is her responsibility to complete the work by her own without undertaking some unethical activities.
10. Respect privacy: It is the responsibility of Jean to respect the privacy of the work and in order to achieve this, it is the task of Jean to use her own coding in order to complete the work without copying code from friend’s file which is unethical .
Case Study 2:
Answer to question number 1
It is found that Max, generally works within the state department of an organization that treats people who faces issues problems due to alcoholism and drug abuse. It is found that Max undertakes all the responsibilities and tries to complete in creating the report that generally contains information as well as details about the various treatment of the patients in five years including their names and other personal details. It is found that for putting together all the information, Max provides access of all the files within the mainframe computer of the agency and after assembling it, the information is kept in a CD so that the remaining work can be completed on time. After completing the work Max forgets the CD ta home and leaves it there.
It is analyzed that Max undertakes all the actions in order to fulfil the duties in order to finish the work that is assigned to him. However, it is analyzed that all the actions that are taken by Max does not result in to positive consequences for the stakeholders . It is found that Max, leaves the CD at home and forgets about it and thus the data and business information that is present within the CD can be used by someone else which further can cause negative consequences. In addition to this, it is found that that as Max has provided access of the confidential information of the patients who are facing problem due to drug abuse as well as alcoholism are provided within the mainframe computer from whether the information and data can be misused by the stakeholders of the organization . This act can further cause number of ethical issues within the entire organization.
An answer to question number 2
It is found that ACS code of ethics are quite helpful in resolving the
issues and challenges that are generally occurred due to the activities of Max. The ACS code of ethics are generally elaborated below:
1. Primacy of public interest: As per the ACS code of conduct, it is quite necessary for Max to put the interests of the public those above the business, sectional as well as personal interest. Thus, in order to resolve the ethical dilemma, it is necessary to follow this code of ethics while undertaking the work of the organization .
2. Enhancement of quality of life: It is the responsibility of the organization to increase the quality of life by so that the workers including Max will not get pressurized by the work activities and thus the chances of ethical issues will generally get reduced.
3. Honesty: It is the responsibility of Max to be honest while finishing the work so that the chances of occurring ethical issues gets reduced. Thus, it is found that the ethical dilemma that are associated with the organization can get resolved due to the issues and challenges .
4. Competence: Max must work competently as well as diligently in order to finish the work of the organization so that no ethical issue can occur within the organization. In addition to this, it is found that working competently within the organization manages the ethical dilemma.
5. Professional development: Personal development of Max as well as other staffs of the organization will be helpful in minimizing the chances of ethical dilemma. Thus, it is quite important to develop professionalism within the staffs of the organization for mitigating the ethical dilemma that is mainly associated with the organization .
6. Professionalism: It is very much necessary to increase the integrity of the entire society by taking proper actions so that ethical dilemma or issues that are associated with the organization will not occur and it will not create any negative impact on the operation of the organization.
1. Leicester, N. Ethics in the IT Profession: Does a Code of Ethics have an Effect on Professional Behaviour?, 2016.
2. Thomas, G., Burmeister, O.K. and Low, G. Issues of Implied Trust in Ethical Hacking. In Proceedings of The 28th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, December(pp. 4-6), 2017.
3. Bielefeldt, A.R. Professional social responsibility in engineering. Social Responsibility, 2018.
4. Jurjevich, J.R., Griffin, A.L., Spielman, S.E., Folch, D.C., Merrick, M. and Nagle, N.N. Navigating Statistical Uncertainty: How Urban and Regional Planners Understand and Work With American Community Survey (ACS) Data for Guiding Policy. Journal of the American Planning Association, 84(2), pp.112-126, 2018.
5. Valentine, S. and Fleischman, G. From schoolyard to workplace: The impact of bullying on sales and business employees' machiavellianism, job satisfaction, and perceived importance of an ethical issue. Human Resource Management, 57(1), pp.293-305, 2018.
6. Hollingworth, D. and Valentine, S. The moderating effect of perceived organizational ethical context on employees’ ethical issue recognition and ethical judgments. Journal of business ethics, 128(2), pp.457-466, 2015.
7. Parviainen, J. and Pirhonen, J. Vulnerable Bodies in Human–Robot Interactions: Embodiment as Ethical Issue in Robot Care for the Elderly, 2017.
8. Kim, H., Lethem, F.J. and Lee, C.W. The Ethical Issue of Contemporary Philanthropy: Uintended Negative Consequences of Philanthropy. Management Review: An International Journal, 12(1), p.4, 2017.
9. Nelkin, M.B. How Do I Know Whether It Is an Ethical Issue in Healthcare? Helping Registered Dietitian Nutritionists Identify Ethical Issues in Practice. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 118(3), pp.481-485, 2018.
10. Shams Moattar, A., Asghari, F. and Majdzadeh, R. Do ethical considerations influence any in HTA reports? A review of reports. Medical Journal of The Islamic Republic of Iran (MJIRI), 30(1), pp.426-431, 2016.
11. Moor, J.H. What is computer ethics?. In Computer Ethics (pp. 31-40). Routledge, 2017.
12. Eleni, P., Paparoidamis, N.G. and Chumpitaz, R. Understanding Ethical Consumers: A New Approach Towards Modeling Ethical Consumer Behaviours. In Marketing Dynamism & Sustainability: Things Change, Things Stay the Same… (pp. 223-225). Springer, Cham, 2015