Delivery in day(s): 4
BSBLDR501 Develop and use Emotional Intelligence Assignment
Identify your own emotional strengths and weaknesses
My emotional strengths are:
1. I am trustworthy as I like to build the trust factor in order to strengthen the working relationship
2. I used to listen each and every matter of my subordinates and team mates before taking any decision
3. I used to manage all the misunderstandings by breaking down the issue and separate the personal interest for an effective solution
My emotional Weakness
1. When my ideas or opinions are neglected by my immediate senior, I used to get frustrated
2. During frustration, sometimes I lost my mental control and behave negatively with the subordinates
Identify your personal stressors within your work environment
Personal stressors are the situation in the workplace which maximize the stress and that affect the level of productivity in the organization.
Personal stressors related to the workplace are as follows:
1. I lack in devoting time to the work activities which hamper the daily work process
2. Handling excess projects back to back
3. The work responsibilities are excessive
Identify your own emotional states affected by your workplace
Emotional states are the signs which are emotionally attached due to the personal stressors.
The emotional states due to the personal stressors are as follows:
1. Lack in the self-confidence due to the mismanagement of the activities
2. Creating disappointment and depression which maximizes the negative thoughts
3. Sometimes motivation fails due to the excessive work pressure
4. Behavioural changes are also included which is nervousness, improper diet and increase in the frequency of smoking.
Identify and describe the actions you can take to improve your emotional intelligence
Emotional Intelligence (EI) is the capability to address the personal emotions and also of the team mates in order to manage and organise the work process effectively. The identified emotional intelligence shown below:
Self Awareness: It is the consciousness of the people to control their emotions and move normally for achieving the target. People having high self awareness can control their emotion and respond positively to the situation
Self regulation: It is the process to regulate the emotion by behaving in a different way. People with high self regulation used to seat in a comfort zone due to the effective regulations of their emotional outburst like anger, jealousness etc
Motivation: Self motivation is very much important to remain encouraged and positive all the time. Highly motivated people can accomplish the task effectively at any diverse situation
Empathy: Empathy is to understand the opinions or feedbacks of other individuals associated in the same work process and as a result misunderstandings get reduced.
Social Skills: The people having the skills to work in a team, open minded can manage the disputes and build strong relationships.
The actions that can be taken to improve my Emotional Intelligence are as follows:
1. I need to observe my behaviour towards other individual and need to evaluate all the factors before judging any situations.
2. Self evaluation is necessary where I can identify my strength and weakness. Accordingly I can take measures to improve the weakness
3. I need to face the extreme stressful situation in the workplace in order to understand my reaction.
4. I need to undertake responsibility for any actions I have taken. Apologizing or complimenting other can be done in order to maintain a positive relationships
Provide evidence of gaining feedback from others
I have taken feedback from my (1) team member (2) immediate senior (3) subordinate in my workplace.
The questions asked and comments received are as follows:
In the diverse situation or during the time of excessive pressure what is my reaction?
1: Sometimes I unorganized the task which creates blunder in the group
2: During the excessive pressure I seem to be stressed and mentally frustrated which creates impact in the work quality
3: I used to behave negatively sometimes which hurts them
How I used to manage the task during extreme pressure?
1: Delegating the task effectively among the members
2: By coordinating and delegating the task effectively
3: Dividing the duties as per the specialization
How I used to behave in the workplace during group task (only to team members)
1: I used to hear all the opinions from the members and then initiate the task by involving all the members which creates appositive working relationship in our team
Do I prefer the opinions from the subordinates? (only to subordinates)
1: I used to conduct meeting and asked all the subordinates to share their views for any decisions which motivate them highly.
What impact is the increased workload having on your team
From the case study it is observed that increase in the number of the clients maximizes the work pressure on the staffs at BD Corp. The situation also includes that increase in the work pressure at BD Corp is not matching with the internal resources and for that a negative balance is there between the input and output. The impacts that are observed on the team members are as follows:
Jose: Jose is the most experienced employee in the organization with fair and detailed knowledge to manage the clients effectively. With the increase in the work pressure Jose shows a lack in concentration, poor memory and having several confusions which result to the errors. The negative impact on Jones will decrease the productivity in the organization by giving ineffective services to the clients. Though she has a wide knowledge still she lacks in concentration implies the mentalimpact.
Alan: From the case study it is found that Alan is comfortable with the work pressure which is a positive impact but the tendency to smoke for a 30 minutes is a negative impact. Taking a break of 30 minutes for smoking can hamper the work process and thus it is a behavioural impact which is observed.
Vaishnavi: Emotional impact can be observed from the behaviour of Vaishnavi during the increase work pressure. For example lack in the confidence level and socially detachable behaviour can affect the performance and increase the level of frustration and isolation among her.
These are all the negative impacts which will affect the work process and productivity of BD Corp. Thus it is necessary to identify the impacts in order to undertake the actions for creating a positive and healthy working environment.
What actions would you take in relation to managing the emotional intelligence of your team during this time?
Emotional Intelligence can play an important role to reduce the impact of the staffs and result to high productivity in BD Corp based on the diverse situation as it able to identify the emotions of self and others in an effective way. The actions that can be taken are as follows:
1. It is needed to identify the strength of the staffs. For example, Jose is well accustomed in the technical field, Alan has a rich experience and Vaishnavi can manage the clients effectively due to the presence of the sound skill of understanding the requirements of the clients etc. These strengths can be utilized in diverse situation of excessive pressure in order to reduce the negative impact. The strengths of the employees should be given focus for achieving the objectives. Apart from that identification of the weakness can also be done in order to overcome by taking certain actions. For example, lack of concentration for Jose can be reduced if she undertakes physical exercise, concentration exercises tec.
2. Process of self managing the emotions is needed to be shared among the members. Self managing the emotions can be done when an individual completely knows his/her emotions. They have to manage their own emotions in order to act in a positive way. For example if Vaishnavi loses her self confidence during the pressure, then she needs to explore the ways to increase the self confidence by planning the ways and to achieve the objectives effectively. When Vaishnavi will get the positive result then only she can tackle the emotional impact.
3. Empathy is the best action to remove the conflicts and misunderstandings among the members. First of all one is to one communication and interaction is needed to be done separately among all the members in order to gather their feedbacks, opinions and views regarding any decision. This will increase the motivation and involvement level of the members in BD Corp which will reflect in the performance level.
4. All the issues that have evolved in the work process are needed to be identified and discussed with the team members as well as higher authority to for a solution. The issues are to be considered in priority in order to remove the doubts and misunderstandings.
5. The last approach that can be undertaken is the attempt to increase the resources by having a discussion with the higher authority in order to reduce the work pressure of the team members. The resources are needed to be fit as per the output. Deficiency in the resources will hamper the work process and service quality of BD Corp as a result the clients will be dissatisfied.
6. The way of behaviour can be given focus in order to increase the emotional intelligence among the team. Committing mistakes should be apologized and for any achievement complimenting each other is highly needed in order to create positive and healthy working relations among the members.
These are the actions which can be undertaken to improve the emotional intelligence of the team members and that will result in the positively in the terms of performances, physical, health, mental conditions and professional relationships.
Situation: Simulated Workplace Environment
My role: As a Manager in the supermarket chain (Aldi, Australia)
Topic for Discussion: Emotional Intelligence in the workplace
What is Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence is the ability of an individual who can identify, evaluate and control his/her emotions in order to create a positive approach while interacting with others. The basic question that can be solved from the Emotional intelligence is the “who we are”. Emotional intelligence is essential for all the level of employees in order to grow and develop the future prospects. Emotional intelligence also helps the individual to understand the view point of other which creates smooth understandings.
The importance of recognising and promoting positive emotional intelligence can reduce the stress level and conflicts as well as enhance the communication skills as a result positive working relationships are created in the workplace. Each and every organisation is having specific objectives in order to reach the goal. For Aldi it is the customer’s satisfaction and service quality which aims to make Aldi as a supermarket chain for all the people. To achieve the objectives, emotional intelligence should be identify and implement in the workplace in order to create an effective relationships between the members of the team.
Expectations from a Manager
First and foremosta Manager needs to establish a sense of Empathy which will encourage the team members or supervisors for sharing their opinions and as a result the motivation level will be high.
Secondly, a Manager needs to give focus on developing the self-management skills of the team members for increasing the skills to organise the activities positively.
Thirdly, a Manger will organise a session which will determine the emotional strengths and weakness in order to overcome the weakness effectively
Thirdly, Celebrating the success with the team members or providing feedbacks to the members can also aware the employees to move in a correct way
Tips for the Managers to develop the Emotional Intelligence level
Tips to identify the emotional issues within the team
1.List and describe the six skill attributes that define self management
The six skills that define the self management are as follows:
Stress Resistance: people with high stress resistance can manage any diverse situation in the workplace easily. Mistakes can be prevented when the people can resist the stress (Harms and Credé, 2012).
Problem solving: Problem solving skill will enhance the right decision for any adverse situation in the workplace by evaluating the positive and negative side of the information before taking any decisions.
Communication: The way to coordinate and update each other is the communication skills. Effective employees must have strong communication skills which will reduce the conflicts and misunderstandings (Lewis, Haviland-Jones and Barrett, 2010).
Time Management: Prioritising the activities based on the level of importance and urgency is the time management skill which supports the individual to accomplish the task effectively.
Physical Activities: physical activities like walking, jogging, physical exercises will boost the energy level of the people and help to accept any challenges in the workplace
Memory: People with strong memory can undertake his/her task effectively which increases the self confidence among them.
2.Outline 3 examples of each type of sign listed below which reflects the weakness in emotional intelligence.
Emotional signs: Disappointment, feeling lonely, decreased motivation level.
Physical signs: Insomnia, anxiety, high blood pressure
Mental signs: Confusion, lack in the level of concentration and poor memory
Behavioural signs: Increase in the frequency of smoking or consuming alcohol, nervousness, improper diet.
3.How might manager make use of this person’s skills and experience, to the advantage of the company, without causing conflict with the team or creating additional distress for the worker?
As per the case study, the new worker has a reserved kind of personality and he has been migrated from an overseas countries. The bonding is not good between the other team members and him. One day the manager has discovered that the new worker has a degree in engineering which can facilitate the company. It can be observed that positive and negative side is there in order to utilise the skill of the new worker. In this perspective the following steps can be undertaken:
1. First of all the manager will verify the degree due to its application in the work process
2. The relevant degree should match the work process of the organisation
3. The manager will call a meeting and ask all the team members to share their opinions
4. The manager will disclose the work process to the new worker
5. Training session will need to be organise to update the new worker about the work process
6. Supervision will be required for measuring the performance of the new worker
The opportunities should be showcased to the new worker in order to motivate him for giving productive performances can be done in the following way:
1. Reward and recognition schemes should be established which will motivate the new worker
2. Development programmes, organising conferences can encourage him to understand the utility of the skills he posses.
3. Establishing an environment of empathy where the individuals can share their opinions
4. Establishing the code of conduct which will prevent the new worker from employee bullying, harassment etc.
4.Describe 5 different ways people from other cultures express emotion
It is the culture of a particular country or place which influences the individual to act in a particular way or share their emotions.
1. People from Asian countries used to share their emotions alone as they value social harmony instead of individualism
2. Suppressing the emotion is another way
3. People from Western countries like US, Europe share their emotion like anger, happiness, both in alone and in the presence of others.
4. People can share their emotion in the way of their activities. They can protest something by not following instructions
5. Indirectly sharing the emotions in order to give respect is another way
5.Describe six different methods to communicate effectively with a diverse workforce.
1. Conducting meeting by inviting all the employees to share their opinions
2. Collecting feedbacks in a protected form for maintaining privacy
3. Escalation process should be there where the employees can share their feedbacks directly to the upper level
4. Organising a briefing session to remove the misunderstandings and conflict
5. Transparent communication process where the top level and ground level employees can coordinate effectively
6. Emails, softwares should be there where the employees can share their opinions directly to the senior.
6.How social Emotional Intelligence competencies can correlate to the workplace successes?
Intuition: Intuition is the ability to predict the future without the requirements of the facts, figures etc. A person with intuition can easily predict the future step without asking for help or resources. This can save the time and simply the process as well
Empathy: High level of motivation will increase as the individual can share their opinions towards any decision making process.
Political Acumen: Clear thinking and undertaking sound decision can help the business to move as per the desired direction.
Social skills:Sound communication skills can remove the misunderstandings and facilitate the work process by establishing sound coordination in the organisation.
7.Describe how Personal emotional intelligence competencies can correlate to workplace successes
Self Awareness: Person with high self-awareness can able to understand his/her own moods as well as emotion. He/she can control those emotions which can create positive impact in group working. Realistic approach through self awareness can influence a person to move as per the direction prescribed by the business objectives.
Self-regulations: Controlling the impulsive actions can create a positive impact on the individual’s growth and way of working. People with high self-regulation have a sense of integrity which boosts the team work in the organisation.
Motivation: High level of motivation will encourage productive performance in the organisation as a result the profitability level will increase.
Self-expectations:Individuals with high self expectation can organise their activities in a positive way and in turn the work process of the organisation becomes sound and effective (Cherniss, 2010).
8.List 8 common workplace stressors that have a negative impact on staff emotions
1. Excessive projects
2. Communication gaps
3. Clarity in job description
4. Shortage of time
5. Delay in getting the salary
6. Increase in the leads or targets
7. Avoidance or ignorance shown by the top management
8. Harassment by the immediate senior
9.List 8 common workplace irritations caused by others that have a negative impact on staff emotions
1. Inadequate support provided by the immediate senior
2. Lack in giving equal contribution
3. Bullying from the manager
4. Useless interruptions done by the team members
5. Frequently changing the decision by the immediate senior
6. Inadequate support from the group members
7. Constantly criticising the decisions by the group members
8. Internal politics which disrupt the performance as well affect the emotion
10.How Emotional intelligence can be used to assist in building the workplace relationships
Emotional intelligence is generally the ability of the human being to identify, evaluate and control the emotions in order to place positive relationships with other. Emotional intelligence can be used to form positive working relationships in the following way (Cherniss, 2010):
a. Improving the ability to showcase the empathy can bring coordination and unity in group working. As all the members can share their views while imitating an approach or issues
b. A strong social skill which involves the communication can bring clarity in sharing the information. This will reduce the level of misunderstandings in the workplace.
c. Self motivation can encourage the individual to remain charged up which can facilitate them to face any adverse situation and also influence others to follow the same.
d. Self awareness to define the moods or emotions can aware the individual to react in a way which can reduce the level of conflicts.
Reference (Assessment 4)
Cherniss, C., (2010). Emotional intelligence: Toward clarification of a concept. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 3(2), pp.110-126.
Harms, P.D. and Credé, M., (2012). Emotional intelligence and transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analysis. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 17(1), pp.5-17.
Lewis, M., Haviland-Jones, J.M. and Barrett, L.F. eds., (2010). Handbook of emotions. Guilford Press.