Delivery in day(s): 3
Education System in Switzerland
The education system followed in Switzerland is diverse. The authority for the school system has been delegated by the constitution of Switzerland mainly to the 26 individual cantons. There are 26 different areas in Switzerland and each area is called a canton. As the school's system has been delegated to the cantons, therefore, the education may vary significantly between cantons. The elementary schools i.e. Kindergarten and Volksschule are included in the public schools of Switzerland. The education system also includes the Gymnasium as secondary school and Universitaten as universities. In Switzerland, each and every canton has its own respective education department, education structure and teaching and curricula methods. Currently, the survey conducted on educational standards Switzerland has been ranked 9th out of 65 countries.
The education system of Switzerland is influenced by many of factors such as political factors, social factors, language factor, economic factors, etc. The following are the factors that affect or promote the education system in Switzerland:
- Geographical factor: The geographical factor is a natural factor and it influences the educational system in terms of land configuration, climatic condition and population distribution. The type of building and equipment, school going age of pupils, means and methods of transporting children to school etc. is dictated by the geography of a particular area. The educational system of Switzerland is fully delegated to the individual cantons and therefore, according to the type of geographical condition, the education will be varying in each canton. The climatic condition and the temperature also affect the accessibility to school by the young children and the timing of the schools in Switzerland. The education system is also influenced by the land configuration in terms of the architectural structure of school buildings, farmhouses, village location and way of life and thinking of the local people.
- Social and Cultural factors:The social patterns also affect the education system of a country. This is because the people over there consider the education system as a way for reflecting the ethos that is served by the people over there among the children. Therefore, it forces the education system of Switzerland to make their primary aim in order to ensure that their culture are being continued by nurturing through expansion and progress of national characteristics. Thus, the social and cultural factors force the education system to reflect their culture through education to the students.
- Economic factors:The type of education system is also influenced by the strength of the economy of the country because it determines the content and method of an education system in the country. The economic condition of Switzerland is most stable economies in the world. The economic factors promote the education system in Switzerland by spending a lot of amount or percentage of nation revenue on the education by the Swiss government. Due to a strong economy, the education becomes forward in many aspects and aims in making the country prosperous. The quality of education is high in Switzerland because of enough grants and provided to promote the education system.
- Political factors:The political condition of Switzerland is stable. The kind of administration the system of education will have is been dictated by the political factors. The government of Switzerland has delegated the authority of education system to its individual cantons. The cantons, therefore, work on the education according to the requirements they found. Such delegation promotes the education system in the areas according to the standard of living of the local people and geographical condition. The cantons have a full control of education and the curriculum. The details of the curriculum are decided by the canton authorities. The scientific training is involved in the curriculum by the cantons for social utilization purposes.
- Language factor:The language factor also influences the educational system of Switzerland. It acts as a barrier to the proper education of the students especially for those who comes to the country for acquiring further education. The government of the country tries to promote its national language through the education system. Now, the education system has diverted by introducing the foreign language as a compulsory subject, especially in the school system. Due to this, the child is required to learn the foreign language before entering the school. Such changes become barrier in the proper education of the child.
- Religion factors:Christianity is the predominant religion followed in Switzerland. The religion and beliefs also influence and shape aspects in the education system in Switzerland. The Christian Missionaries influenced and continue to influence the education system. The religious organisations are involved in promoting the education in Switzerland by building educational institutions. The Muslim faithful and other religious groups such as Hindus, Buddhists also have their own establish institutions of learning.
- Historical factors:The historical factor of Switzerland also shapes the prevailing education system. This is because the history of Switzerland plays an important role in shaping the nation's aims, aspirations, destiny and activities which are reflected through the educational system. The Christian missionaries from Holland, USA and Germany have largely influenced the development of the educational system in Switzerland. Therefore, the present education systems are actual products of past colonial influence which is endeavors by representing the cases, heroic efforts of their colonial heritage in education.