Part 1- Introduction The report contains the...
Audit Criteria for Healthcare Services is a primary research case study. Criteria audits are done in health care services which are aimed at conducting prognostic evaluation, to determine success chances for the surgery and for accomplishing entire paper work & procedure for the medical staff involved the surgery. In order to carry out these audits with high accuracy usage of pre surgery and post surgery evaluation is important for ensuring accuracy for the research. The current report would provide detailed analysis regarding application of the audit criteria for the health care services. In addition to this increasing importance of the audit criteria in surgical operations would be reviewed.
In order to demonstrate the usage of audit criteria for health related services example discussed would be for Cholecystectomy which relates to the process of extraction of gall bladders affected by gall stone. In order to support the arguments purposed on the surgical operations reports related to surgical operations would be reviewed.
he early diagnoses with gall stones which is symptomatic, cholecystectomy which is most usual treatment in hospital bed. Cholecystectomy is the excision of the gallbladder for the removal of gall stones. It is one of the most commonly performed surgical operations in hospitals around the world. The process and the procedure of carrying out cholecystectomy are complicated and involve high risks of loss of life. This is because of the high chances of injuring the bile duct due to unprofessionalism and carelessness. According to cholecystectomy surgeries are the major cause of court actions. In the field of surgery, there are numerous malpractices due to ignorance of the codes and ethics that are supposed to guide the surgeons. Some simply assume them. Therefore, there is a need for all parties to refine the technique, have better teaching, improve instrumentation, and most importantly for the purposes of improved quality control and quality assurance mechanisms.
Use of audit and Cholecystectomy surgery
Just like in other disease treatment, the audit criteria are useful in the cholecystectomy in various ways. As states, audit criteria helps the medical specialists in reducing medical errors, this is because there are available statistics which can be referred to or as comparisons against similar cases that may be present in an hospital. It also helps in reducing cost that may be used during prognosis, here the doctors may determine the prognosis of a patient by simply examining the symptoms of a patient and comparing it against the records of previous patient with similar cases and determine the outcome. Another importance of audit criteria is that it helps the medical specialists to improve their health care services to their patients.
The major purpose of criteria audit is to gather record and store information concerning the quality of care that cholecystectomy patients have received. The will help to improve the compliance of cholecystectomy quality and outcomes with the standards set by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
The objectives of this criteria audit are as follows
- Evaluation of the clinical utilisation of cholecystectomy against best practice.
- To measure if the performance of cholecystectomy is justified in 100% of incidences
- To evaluate clinical utilisation of cholecystectomy against best practice
- To find complication rate during and post-procedure of cholecystectomy.
These criteria was adopted from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, and applied in this audit:
1. Do the signs, symptoms and investigations pre-cholecystectomy justify the surgery? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
2. Was the pathology report positive? (Expected Rate 100 % for all cases)
3. (a) Was there surgical exploration of the common bile duct?
(b) If so, is there evidence of disease of the common bile duct?
(Not applicable for cases with no common bile duct exploration)
4. Is the admission free of unplanned additional surgery? (Relate to the cholecystectomy) (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
5. Has the patient been given antibiotic prophylaxis in accordance to the given protocol? (Expected Rate 100% for patients fall into prophylaxis protocol category)
6. Is the admission free of intra-operative or postoperative blood transfusion? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
7. Was the result of the procedure non-fatal? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
8. Was the length of stay <= 5days? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
9. Is the number of days preoperative <= 1 day? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
10. Is the record free of readmission for any related condition? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
11. Is the cholecystectomy procedure free of surgical wound infection? (Expected Rate 100% for all cases)
|No.||Criteria||Expected Rate (%)||Exceptions|
|1||Do the signs, symptoms and investigations pre-cholecystectomy justify the surgery?||100%||None|
|2||Was the pathology report positive?||100%||None|
|3||(a)Was there surgical exploration of the common bile duct?||100%||No common bile duct exploration|
|(b) If so, is there evidence of disease of the common bile duct?||100%||No common bile duct exploration|
|4||Is the admission free of unplanned additional surgery?||100%||Unplanned additional surgery not related to the cholecystectomy|
|5||Has the patient been given antibiotic prophylaxis in accordance to the given protocol?||100%||Patient does not fall into prophylaxis protocol category|
|6||Is the admission free of intra-operative or postoperative blood transfusion?||100%||None|
|7||Was the result of the procedure non-fatal?||100%||None|
|8||Was the length of stay <= 5days?||100%||None|
|9||Is the number of days preoperative <= 1 day?||100%||None|
|10||Is the record free of readmission for any related condition?||100%||None|
|11||Is the cholecystectomy procedure free of surgical wound infection?||100%||None|
Case study results and findings of this research have not been shared in this article. For further information and queries related to nursing and healthcare assignment help service in Australia, contact Oz Assignment Help or upload your assignment for review by the online nursing assignment experts of Oz Assignment Help.